Virtual Summer Show 2020
Due to the current situation with COVID-19, unfortunately we cannot hold the 170th Annual Flower and Vegetable Show as intended. However, we're excited to run this as a virtual summer show instead, open to both members and non-members.
INTRODUCING THE VIRTUAL SHOW
The 170th event will still run on Saturday 22nd August, but this year as a virtual show. What is a virtual show you might ask? As it isn't possible to physically display the entries, we would like those passionate about gardening (beginners and experts) to enter the show by emailing photographs of entries. The photos will be uploaded to this website, so everyone can still enjoy viewing the different entries for each of the classes. Our panel of judges will review the entries for each class, and select a winner and runner-up. The results will then be displayed on the web site. Please note : Entries for the 'Tattie Challenge' are closed and will continue with slight changes to the weighing procedure.
To help everyone with their entries, we will provide some guidance and tips on taking photos closer to the time. The classes you can enter are listed further down this page. This show is all about celebrating the benefits of gardening, and we hope you will help keep the show going in its 170th year!
Please click on the image to view entries from past shows
We have made some changes to the show schedule to enable this to be manageable as a virtual event. You can enter multiple classes. The classes are:
1. One vase of dahlias 5 stems mixed species/cultivar
2. One vase sweet peas 9 spikes mixed species/cultivar
3. One vase of annuals, three species/cultivar
4. " From my garden" an arrangement in a basket overall dimensions 45cmx45cmx45cm
5. Two pots of tuberous begonias
6. Three cacti or succulents - one per pot
7. Three onions grown from seed or sets
8. Five potatoes of any one variety
9. Three courgettes of any one variety
10. A truss of tomatoes
11. Salad bowl - collection of 4 different salad varieties in a container
12. Collection of different vegetable species /cultivars( maximum 6) suitable for the kitchen in a container
Age 4 - 6 yrs
13.A fairy or dinosaur garden in a soup plate with a flat rim
Age 7 - 11 yrs
14 . A creature made from vegetables
Age 12 - 16 yrs
15 . A photograph of "My Favourite Plant"
16. Wind chimes using recycled materials
17. A garden view
HOW TO ENTER
A photograph of your entry should be emailed to the Society between 17th - 21st August 2020. All photographs will be displayed on this site from 22nd August
Further details on how to submit your photos will be provided by July 2020
Entry is open to members and non-members
The entries will be judged, with a winner and runner-up selected per class. As this is a virtual show, there will be no entry fees, cash prizes or trophies. We hope you will be rewarded by a sense of achievement in taking part. Please come back to this page in July for more details. In the meantime, if you have any queries please just complete the contact form on the site and we will come back to you.
PREVIOUS ANNUAL FLOWER AND VEG SHOWS
Looking for inspiration? Take a look at the write-ups of previous annual shows